Finding mold in your home is not something to take lightly. And it is not something you should remove on your own. Some molds are very toxic and can cause health issues if breathed in. If mold is not removed properly, it can spread and cause a bigger issue. Black and brown molds are 2 kinds of mold you can have in your home. Hiring a mold removal specialist is the best way to have the mold tested and removed from your home so it does not return.
What is Black Mold?
Stachybotrys Chartarum is the scientific term used for black mold. It produces toxins which makes it an extremely toxic and dangerous type of mold. The toxins that are produced are what give this mold its color. Other molds may have a similar appearance. For this reason, it is very important to have any mold found in your home tested and removed by a professional if recommended. Because black mold is toxic, it can have serious health risks for your family.
Black mold, like other molds, needs to have a surrounding that is moist and dark. It is a living organism, so it needs to have food as a surface to grow as well. This can be something as simple as small particles of dust. If it is growing outside, it is typically in climates that are warm and humid. It can then be found growing on soil or fallen debris from plants. If growing inside the home, it needs an area that has excess moisture, such as a bathroom, under a sink, or in a damp basement.
If water remains standing in an area of your home, such as under carpeting, floor tiles, or linoleum, for a long period of time, it is likely that black mold will grow there as well. Any area where water has been leaking is a prime location for black mold to grow.
If black mold is found, it is imperative that it is removed properly and as quickly as possible. A key part of removing mold is to make sure that mold spores are not disrupted. If they are disrupted, they will become airborne and can be breathed in. Since black mold is toxic, there can be health problems that result from this exposure. In order to ensure that it is removed properly, it is best to hire a professional mold remediation company. They have the knowledge and equipment needed to make sure that mold is thoroughly removed and is not disrupted during the process.
What is Brown Hairy Mold?
Brown hairy mold is scientifically known as Stemonitis because of its color and furry appearance. Like black mold and other molds, brown hairy mold needs to have moisture in order to grow. The source of the moisture can be from many different things. It could be from a pipe that is leaking or water that spilled on the floor and was never properly cleaned up.
This type of mold is not typically a toxic mold, but this does not mean that it is safe. There can still be health risks. Those that are typically at the greatest risk are people with respiratory issues, a weak immune system, or allergies. All of these can be aggravated by mold and mold spores in the air.
A common area for this type of mold to grow is within a damp bathroom under tiles that are loose. Water can get under the loose tiles and will not dry quickly. This becomes a breeding ground for mold. Another area that brown hairy mold is often found is under carpeting. Mold will often grow when water gets on carpet and is not allowed to dry thoroughly.
Although brown hairy mold is not considered to be toxic, it is still extremely important to have it removed as quickly as possible. In order to ensure that the mold is removed correctly, without releasing spores into the air, and thoroughly, you should fine an expert in your area who can property remediate the problem. They will have all of the tools and the knowledge to make sure the mold is properly removed.